Thursday, 24 May 2007

hot people

Recently, a theologian in Britain damned most Britons to Hell. Woooh. Scary.
Is that man a complete idiot? I found his picture, but it would be rude to comment on his (ugly, fat) face :)
Evangelical Christians are actually mental, I can´t think of another way to see it. It´s a shame if they have any influence, because whatever they believe, I find it impossible to see that God matters, one way or the other.

Unless I´m missing something, these "linear religions" have a problem they should all be worried about. I say "linear" as they believe in a beginning and an end. But I don´t understand "judgement day", it makes no sense! Millions of people have lived and died, and gone either to heaven or hell, so we are told. So what´s the point of judgment day? It´s just like dying, only en-masse.

The other thing that occurs to me about God´s judgement is that, well; who´s a better person? Someone who is good just to be good, or someone who´s good because he wants to go to heaven? Of course religious people would then say but you have to believe in and praise God, because that´s what he wants.
I´m not going to mince my words, so I apologise in advance:

What a cunt.

The world makes more sense without God, and it´s more amazing. The birth of the universe, and the birth of life and evolution is incredible, and to be conscious of it is wonderful.

Now, there are lots of problems in the world, and we need to sort them out. Lots of problems are our own fault, so we know who to blame.
Stick God into the picture, and it all gets ugly. Suddenly, I wonder why he felt it necessary to make people unequal in ability. Why can´t I grow the beard I want? Why am I designed to suffer back pain (evolution has an answer to that one), why do bad people prosper and innocent ones die? What´s the point of wasps? Why do we die?
If I am forced to think some supreme being created earth and life, I am forced into saying you made a bit of a shit job out of it. And I wouldn´t feel very responsible for any of my actions, as "it´s all part of God´s plan".
I could go around pushing old people into the street! "Just doing God´s work madam!!"
Yeah, "God".. cool, cool...

But I wanted to say it doesn´t matter. I really think it doesn´t. I agree with Kant we have an innate "catagorical imperative"(basically ´treat other people as you would like to be treated´), to do good, and that you can see throughout humanity that there are basic human ethics, and they exist regardless of belief in God. And if I think I only have one "life", I might be encouraged to make the best of it. I certainly never feel like killing people who don´t believe in the same god I don´t believe in.

If there´s a God, he she or it hasn´t showed up for a long time (handy, that), so all we can say is that we know what it is to be human, and that´s about it. One of the innate things about being Human is questioning things. That´s what makes us creative and ingenious. We can look at something that happens and ask "why?". Without that we´d not be Human. So I can understand the question "why do we exist?", and I think it´s a logical thing for us to ask that - but it´s the wrong question. Just because we can ask a question doesn´t mean there must be an answer. The easiest answer to that question is to decide there must be a creator, but it´s only popular because it´s easy, and comforting to people.

It´s wrong! There´s no meaning to existence beyond ourselves, but if anyone thinks about it, being alive seems important to us. That´s the point, there´s no more!
If I die, and it turns out I was wrong, and there is a God, what can I have been expected to do? Act against my best judgement?

Some religions think you should "respect" them, and not question "God´s word". Well, I think that´s backwards. Any idea, or proposition, has to respect me. If it doesn´t stand up to scrutiny, then it´s not worth anything. I sometimes wonder if that´s why some religious people get so angry if they are criticised: deep down they know they are wrong, but like some people in Plato´s cave, they are frightened of leaving the illusion of life they have.
So, a big bunch of scaredy cats, then!

I would be more tolerant of religion if it had no effect, if people stopped abusing their children by forcing idiotic beliefs onto them.
But they do, so I´m not.

It´s fucking Friday... Still 8 days till the end of the... I mean 8 days till I see Battles at primavera sound!! That matters. Much more than God :)

No comments: