Monday, 26 May 2008

scanners

Sticking to my new brief, I'll tootle around music for a while...
And most importantly will be the forthcoming Flying Lotus album "Los Angeles", which I have been lucky enough to hear. It's fantastic, complex, and sprawling, and works very well as an album - the first few listens it just seems to be a big whole, which is no bad thing!

Some people won't like it at all, I'm sure, but the same can be said of most things.

Differences of opinion constantly surprise me - for example today I read on Drowned in Sound, that their single of the week "with ease" is this, which is horrible, although it does express perfectly the despair I feel at Britain snowballing towards another Conservative government... but I don't like that feeling, and I'd rather have my toes chewed off by rabbits than listen to that feeling musically. ouch.
So, yeah, weird how people can have such different tastes.

Luckily, over on Angryape, we find the new Ratatat video, which is as good a stress buster as you're likely to find....



So, obviously more videos should be made from old Arnie movies!

Later today, I read this article called "agnostic about atheism". I sometimes wonder whether lots of arguements in the world would disappear, if people did their fucking research!
My God, it's irritating, as this is not the first swipe at Richard Dawkins that claims something like, "music in general (..) must be tossed out when you refuse to appreciate religion."
No, as a criticism of Richard Dawkins, this is stupid, as he goes out of is way in his book to appreciate the cultural role of religion in society... it's just that he says it's not necessary now.
In fact, as Bill Hicks pointed out before he died, in modern culture, it's the denial of the good of drug abuse which should invoke the tossing out of all your music... Don't watch that Bill Hicks link if you have a weak constitution, by the way, it is "not for everybody" in a Steppenwolf stylee.

No comments: