Wednesday, 4 June 2008

scrrrrrrape.

Art in Britain is very often smug and narcissistic, being personality led, rather than art-led. Demian Hirst's agent is even happy for him to be described as a brand - how arty is that?
Although I understand artists using assistants, some brit-artists take the piss - Hirst, again, now only comes up with crass ideas, which other people execute for him.
Which I must emphasise IS RUBBISH and no longer artistic.

Anyway, I digress before I even start.

"Siren", a gold sculpture by Marc Quinn, depicts Kate Moss in a yoga position, and is to be displayed at the British Museum... I... Why don't you just encase a copy of "Hello" in glass, bathe it in light and force us to worship it? Celebrity culture is NOT CULTURE, and it is shockingly tacky for supposed "art" to stoop to celebrity worship.

Am I being snobbish? I don't give a flying melonflipper; this is pathetic, headline grabbing bottom of the barrel and base art. I hate it. I hate it because it's mundane and everyday - even if it is made of gold! To say sculpting Kate Moss lacks imagination is a huge understatement. Brit-art has done mundane to death over the past 20 years. Time to move on, I think.

Anyway, there's a new Ladytron album on the way, which is pretty cool...



So it's not all bad. It's lucky there's a fairly constant stream of good music about, or I'd have to spend my time considering what's going to happen when Britain elects a Conservative - BNP coalition government... Might happen, unless Flash Gordon Brown listens to Larry Elliott and Dan Atkinson's proposals. They might yet save us, Flash!
Of course, people will think controlling the financial world is "radical and dangerous", because they are scared and lack imagination (again!), but it's really not such a radical idea - it's the current system which is radical. Dangerously so, for everyone who isn't a high flying banker. Not that I'm thinking about that, anyway.


New Wearable Feedbags Let Americans Eat More, Move Less

No comments: