Saturday, 16 August 2008

substantially worse

I can't remember the ins and outs of "The Age Of Reason" by Sartre, but I do remember that I am the same age as the central character now - so I must have reached it. Did Sartre mention that there comes an age where the repetitious nature of the world starts to become bizarre and surreal, though in a horrific way? Is there a word for that feeling? I could perhaps reread Sartre to find out, but this is the internet, and we don't have enough time for proper research. It's all just rant rant rant I'm right 'ere innit?

Well, the Georgia situation put me in that frame of mind. The war itself, the idiotic political responses, the childish simplistic news stories (which "the media" will soon realise are so - before forgetting it just in time for the next conflict). If it wasn't for all the people dying, it would be funny. Is there a word for that? It pains me to think about it too much, as I feel I've thought about stuff like this many times before, and the same mistakes are still made - there's proof of the non-power of thought - but I'll try briefly:

Mikheil Saakashvili, the Georgian President, is a plonker. Attacking Russia? Is he mental? If Georgians wish to know why they're being bombed - the can look to their numbnutted leader.

Now, I can never remember Mikheil Saakashvili's name (ctrl-v!), so I just looked at the Guardian's world news page to copy it from, and wouldn't you know, here are journalists coming to the conclusion they've been seeing things simplistically!

"Saakashvili might have lost the war against Russia, but, scant consolation perhaps, he is widely seen to have won the propaganda battle. Big bad Russia against plucky little Georgia. Accurate or nonsense, thanks to "Misha's" Brussels-based PR men, it is the picture that's dominating the world media." (link)

Damn PR men - they get us every time! Grrrr! How do they do it?

I'd like to think the Guardian are the only people in the world surprised at their own gullibility, but I suspect they're not. Still, as the news media weren't doing their job reporting the news properly, I don't have to feel bad about name-checking Sartre without really remembering what I'm going on about. Shame I'm not getting paid for doing my job badly like they are, mind.

If yer bored, or need to relax, listen to "MARK WATSON MAKES THE WORLD SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER" through the Radio 4 website.

No comments: