Tuesday, 7 October 2008

they're gay.



Well, quite.

At the other end of the nonsense scale, yesterday in the Guardian we had Germaine Greer, and she done this:

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose... This has always struck me as one of the cleverest lines ever to turn up in a pop lyric. I first heard it one night in December 1968, when Lou Reed took me down to a club in Greenwich Village to hear a new singer called Kris Kristofferson. After we heard the set, we went back to Max's restaurant and I didn't actually meet Kristofferson until nearly three years later, when I came upon him crawling through the dog-flap at Janis Joplin's house, not long after her death, and just before her version of his song Me and Bobby McGee became a huge hit."

When I am King, there will be a moratorium on 60s anecdotes. When the 60s "revolutionaries" can explain to me why exactly they all grew up to ruin everything with the worst excesses of the 80s, it will be removed.

The legacy of 68 isn't freedom, or hippies or civil rights, or the sexual revolution (because no-one had sex prior to that?).... It's wankers in suits, Porsches, big phones, crappy music, rampant capitalism, shallow "spiritualism". I could go on. I've recently come to accept the 60s were a good time for music - lots of things happened in a short time, it was very forward looking. I can dig that. What I can't dig is the tower of pretentious, tuneless, meaningless, musically backward looking shit that is and was Bob Dylan. He learned from Kerouac that if you're shambling enough, wordy enough and massage people's "intellectual" egos enough, people will buy into you wholesale; you don't have to say anything worthwhile. Music with meaning? Dylan's having a laugh - listen to Public Enemy.


Anyway, she finishes her article on a flourish... "Freedom cannot be built, but it can be sung."

What?!? You get PAID to write that? Still, like

No comments: